To celebrate the launch of the PS4 version of Elite: Dangerous, David Braben did a Reddit AMA today. You can read it here.
As of 12am on the 27th June 2017 PS4 owners will be able to play (fingers crossed) the training missions for the game. You can get the full breakdown here.
On Monday 26th June 2017 Frontier released the 2.3.10 update. Servers will be down for 7 to 8 or more hours whilst this takes place. These notes can be seen below or on the official forum here. As always you can find links to these and all other patch notes on the Elite: Current Features part of this web site.
- Fixed a Commander Data error that could occur when two players switch to a Fighter at the same time in Multi-Crew
- Fixed a crash that could occur when in High Intensity Conflict Zones for extended periods of time
- Fixed a crash that could occur when leaving Supercruise in a busy area
- Fixed a crash that could occur when activating Silent Running in a CQC match
- Fixed a crash that could occur in the Capital Ship Encounters
General Fixes & Tweaks
- General text fixes
- Updated some translations
- Fixed a target-able location in the Howard system
- Audio: Fixed an issue with inbox message alert audio not playing
- Audio: Fixed an issue whereby the audio would continue to loop when holding the fire button, after your shield cell bank had run out of ammo
- Audio: Fixed an issue with the discovery scanner audio – Honks are back!
- Audio: Various audio tweaks and fixes
- Players will now be consistently moved safely out of asteroid rings when logging in, which should hopefully prevent asteroids from spawn killing players
- Fixed an issue that caused the ‘Frameshift Charging’ indicator to become stuck on screen if you cancelled a hyperjump whilst in the camera suite
- More factions have joined the Colonia region of space
- Implemented various changes to improve the appearance of Holo-Me in extreme lighting condition.
- Fixed an issue whereby the Technology 06 codex entry was missing from Ancient Ruins
- Mission board generation optimisations
- Added the ability for Helm to limit the functionality of the Gunner role if desired (for example, preventing the use of utility style modules or deploying/retracting hardpoints)
- Added the ability for Helm to disable the Fighter Control role if desired
- Fix to allow the Helm access to turret mode options when they do not have a Gunner in their Multi-Crew session
- Multicrew activities that have crew slots available are now highlighted with ‘+’ symbols
- The ‘Switch Roles’ button will now be greyed out if your SRV is carrying more cargo than the ship has capacity for.
- General network tweaks and fixes
- Fixed an issue whereby the Engine Detailing slot did not appear when using the the Detailing filter tab
- Fixed an issue with NPC names becoming garbled in the Player Journal
- Faction Pending and Recovery state information is now included in the Player Journal
- Addressed an issue whereby certain events were missing from the Player Journal
- New “EngineerContribution” event for making donations to unlock an Engineer.
- Added a beta version of the Companion API that will be available when the beta is available at https://pts-companion.orerve.net/
General Ship Fixes and Improvements
- AnacondaFixed some visual issues with the Anaconda’s cockpit and made some improvements
- AspMoved the camera closer to prevent clipping in livery outfitting
- Imperial CourierFixed an issue with the Imperial Courier’s Slipstream paint job
- PythonPython ship kits no longer appear worn when fully repaired
General Ship Audio Fixes and Improvements
- Audio: Improvements to the “Rotational Correction” voice lines when returning to the helm from a fighter
Over the weekend Lavecon 2017 took place and a few new bits of information were released about updates coming in the evolving 2.4 release. Thanks to Christian M over on Reddit for writing this up and saving me the time (which I don’t have just now!) Most notably there will be improvement/changes to the following:
- ‘A suite of weapons, modules and devices’ that will be used against the Thargoids:
- Repair limpets for hull (to be used on yourself or other ships):
- UI improvements for the inbox:
- New synthesis recipes, including Limpet synthesis.
- Improvements to salvageable wreckage and occupied cryopods:
Changes to Crime & Punishment:
- Fix for Sidewinder exploit (when you do crimes in larger ships, switch to a Sidewinder and die in order to avoid a large rebuy and removing bounties on your head). So the game will look at the most expensive rebuy cost for the ship that was used during the crimes you committed, and it will add that rebuy cost as an additional penalty.
- Federation bounties – If you attack a Player (not NPC) you also get a Pilots Federation Bounty, in addition to any normal bounty, which is valued everywhere.
- Pay-off rebuy costs and fines with other ships – wherever you have them.
Frontier have announced that there will be a pre-launch stream for the release of the PS4 version of the game. You can read about it here.
On the 13th June 2017 Frontier announced that the 2.4 update will feature the return of the Thargoids. You can see the short promotion trailer for it below.
The release date will fall between July and September 2017. As described on the Frontier forum,
“The Return will play out differently to previous releases in Elite Dangerous: Horizons, with content and story beats affecting all Commanders releasing in the months following its initial release.
“As a story-centric update, showing too much ahead of time would spoil the surprise and make for a lesser experience for the community. We want The Return to surprise and shock you as much as possible, but that said, you can expect for further reveals and information about the future of Elite at various community and gaming events throughout the year, such as the upcoming Lavecon.
“David Braben talks about the history of the Thargoids, and about how 2.4 The Return will unfold, in the video we posted to our YouTube account:”
Further details will be added to this page as and when it is known.