Note: This video has been added to the Creating Elite: Dangerous section, here.
On the 28th November 2018 Frontier announced the latest in their series of their ‘Discovery Scanner’ series.
This week we’re finally back with the third of the Discovery Scanner series, this time focusing on the creation of the ‘cracking’ audio design and implementation of the mother-lode asteroids.
Join Ross Stack as he takes you on a behind-the-scenes look at how some of the incredible sounds in Elite Dangerous come to life.
Hopefully see you there!
Topic – Discovery Scanner – Audible Asteroids: Prospecting the Sonic Signatures of Asteroids with Senior audio designer, Ross Stack
Date – 29 November 2018
Time – 19:00 (UTC)
Where – Click here!
On the 26th November at 5:10pm Frontier announced the end date for the Beta of Chapter 4.
The Elite Dangerous: Chapter Four Beta will end on Monday December 3 at approximately 10am UTC.
This is not indicative of the Chapter Four release date. Please keep an eye on our usual social media channels and forums for any further information about the final release date of Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Four.
For this last week of beta we’re looking closely at the background simulation (BGS). As always we’re incredibly grateful for your continued support, testing and feedback, and this week we would greatly appreciate any effort in the beta put towards helping your in-game minor factions. There will be no update or patch to the beta to allow us to further test this content.
Thanks again, your feedback and testing during the beta has been invaluable thus far, and is helping towards making Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter Four our best update yet.
Updated: 21st November 2018 @ 12.16am
At 2:05pm on the 20th November 2018 Frontier announced the details for the final part of the Beyond: Chapter 4 Beta. You can see them below or here on the official website. You can read what Frontier have said about Thargoid Conflict Zones, here. Patch notes will appear in this thread once released by Frontier. There will also be a live stream on the 22nd November at 7pm (UTC) to demonstrate the new Thargoid Conflict Zones.
“We’re pleased to announce that the next set of beta content for Beyond – Chapter Four will be Thargoid Conflict Zones and a brand-new Thargoid-attacked Megaship scenario!
“We will bring the beta servers down at 10:00 (UTC) on 21 November. Following the update, the beta server will be live at approximately 11:00 (UTC) on 21 November. There is a chance that this could run over, so we really appreciate your patience. As usual with these updates we’ll keep you as up to date as possible.
“Slightly different to previous beta additions, this Thargoid content will only be available in the Maia system during the Beyond – Chapter Four beta, though it will be available across all modes.
“Alongside this new content (below), you’ll be able to continue testing all of the previous content!
“To take part in the beta, all you’ll need to do is load up the launcher and select (and update) the following product: Elite Dangerous – Horizons – Beta (3.3). Once that has been completed, you’ll then have access to the Beyond – Chapter Four beta. If this hasn’t appeared, please restart your launcher.
“If you’d like information as the beta progresses, you can also subscribe to our Beyond – Chapter Four Beta newsletter by clicking here.
“We can’t wait to hear what you think of the new Thargoid Conflict Zones and Megaship Scenario!”
“The next beta update will also include various bug fixes and improvements. We’ve made some adjustments to mining itself and all of the details will be available in the patch notes published prior to the beta update.”
> Patch Notes
- Incursion state added, along with
- Thargoid Conflict Zone scenario (“AX Conflict Zones”)
- Damaged megaship scenarios
- For the Beta, the Maia system has been manually set to the incursion state, and these scenarios should appear there
- Added a toggle to turn off the profanity filter (under the options tab in the comms panel)
- Updated audio options:
- Default/optimal volume position is now marked, allowing the player to return to default easily
- All sliders (apart from the 3 “master” sliders (sounds, music, voice)) can be boosted as well as cut
- Note: User volume slider positions will be reset to default on this update (this is a one time only reset)
Bug Fixes and Improvements
- Fixed incorrect white lights in cockpit
- Added galaxy map filter for the new ‘Civil Liberty’ state
- Added text to indicate the happiest system in the ‘Faction Allegiance’ section in Squadrons
- Added icons to states listed in the System Map
- Pirate attacks and outbreaks will now occur automatically
- Fixed Conflict Zones not always spawning in systems at War
- Fixed misaligned thrusters
- Fixed an issue where a planet that didn’t have a terraformed status set would default to being terraformable (when it shouldn’t be)
- Fixed overlapping text in the Archive section
- Galactic region no longer resets to your location when searching the Discoveries section
- Added ‘Distance Traveled in an SRV’ stat
- Narration added for “Individuals” knowledgebase articles
- Increased the volume of the background chatter in Conflict Zones
- Increased the chat spam limit from 3 to 5 (fixes some Voice Attack issues)
- Fixed issue that caused chat messages not to be delivered when the recipient was on main menu
- The binding for entering the vanity cam in ship and SRV can now be bound to the same button
- Increased the volume of ‘Jefferson’
- Fixed a crash that could occur when leaving a Resource Extraction Site
- Fixed a crash that could occur when using the Subsurface Displacement missile
- Fixed a crash that could occur when jumping to another system
- Fixed crash that could occur when opening the Codex
- Fixed that could occur when entering a Conflict Zone
- Fixed a crash that could occur when players ship is destroyed
- Fixed a crash that could occur when using the Pulse Wave Analyser
- Fixed a crash that could occur when using the Prospector Limpet
- Fixed a crash that could occur when switching ships
- Fixed a crash that could occur when in the FSS mode
- Fixed holo-me being incorrectly selectable from the SRV, leading to a softlock
- Fixed a crash that could occur when switching between 3D modes
- Fixed a crash that could occur when opening the Codex after a recent discovery
- Fixed a crash that could occur when selling Exploration Data
- Fixed instances of “authentication server” disconnections from mission servers
Crime & Punishment
- Added clarification to the bounty transaction details, to explain the implications of the Kill Warrant Scanner
- Fixed reversed decal slots on Cobra Mk.III and Imperial Cutter
- The Detailed Surface Scanner will now auto hide in the fire groups HUD while in normal space
- Fixed an audio issue that could cause the scanning sound to get stuck and loop
- Fixed an issue which meant players couldn’t buy exploration data when docked at a port
- Stopped the ship voice line from needlessly repeating when the system has been fully scanned
- Fixed an issue where the info panel would not update to show a planets signals while in the DSS mode
- Fixed an issue that was preventing players from firing probes a rings around stars (the star itself can still not be probed, which is intended behaviour)
- Bodies now appear when using the FSS mode in non-Horizon versions of the game
- Increased the sensitivity range on the FSS movement controls
- Added sensitivity control to the spectrum analysis bar
- FSS mouse binding now no longer gives a ‘roll’ option
- Scanning a nav beacon now returns full system data (ring details were missing)
- Fixed issue that could cause ‘false’ signals to appear that couldn’t be resolved
- The threat level of a USS is now displayed when zoomed in on it
- The system map now indicates if the planet has been mapped or not
- Added message when a body is passively scanned
- Fixed an issue that was causing some bodies to appear on the system map, but were unable to be discovered using the FSS mode
- Fixed impossible to meet efficiency targets
- Info panel now has 2 lines to display messages on
- Fixed some Thargoid signal sources being identified as Guardian
- Fixed visual issues on fitted ship kit when using a paint job
Friends and Private Groups
- Fixed a hang that could occur when browsing a very large group
- Fixed issue where dropping out at ports in asteroid clusters wasn’t dropping the player near it
- Fixed an issue that meant certain Port contacts were erroneously appearing
- Fixed issue where Thargoid probes weren’t spawning correctly
- Fixed issue where the left hand panel would become unresponsive when return to the players ship from an SRV
- Fixed missing leading reticle for the Flechette launcher
- Fixed issue that could lead to the left hand panel becoming unresponsive
- Fixed some graphical issues on the avatar portrait
- Reduced brightness in galaxy map
- ‘Search’ wasn’t translated in the Friends and Private Groups menu
- Fixed various typos
- Fixed incorrect text on ‘Galactic Powers’ button on the home tab
- Fixed truncated text on the ‘Galactic Powers’ button in German
- Added translations for Detailed Surface Scanner options
- Replaced placeholder text with actual text in Fine description
- Fixed thrusters not changing colour when applying engine colours
- Fixed misaligned vanity preview cameras
- Balance pass on boost, speed, and pitch and roll rates
- Should now dissipate heat quicker (in line with the FDL)
- Added information on what is inside a motherlode asteroid to the data returned by the prospector limpet
- Added extra detail to the Subsurface Displacement Missiles outfitting description, to explain the pull and hold trigger feature
- Fixed graphical issue after using a Displacement Missile
- NPC ships now use their mining lasers once again
- Fixed missing targets, UI and feedback when a multicrew member joins after a prospector limpet has been used
- Added extra feedback icons to the areas that represent the different yield ranges when attempting to crack an asteroid apart
- Tweaked the pulse wave analyser results to be less broad and more focused at range
- Added new, high value materials to the motherlode asteroids (free floating materials and new surface deposits, which are found after cracking the asteroid open)
- Increased the ammo capacity of the new mining tools
- Stopped depleted asteroids from appearing gold when scanned with the Pulse Wave Analyser
- Removed restriction on in space collect missions, to allow players to take them even if their ships cargo hold is below the amount needed (they will use the Cargo Depot feature)
- Fixed the target panel for the gunner role
- Fixed issue where select the view report button didn’t take players directly to the screen
- Fixed incorrect planetary ring orientation
- Updated the refinery text to change the refernce of “Mining Laser” to “Mining Tools”
- Fixed duplicate scan events
- Fixed some wing mission cargo reported as stolen
- FSSSignalDiscovered: add USSType info (§6.6)
- Add new FSSAllBodiesFound event (§6.4)
- Scan events generated automatically when entering system now logged as “ScanType”:”AutoScan” (§6.3)
- Add new event MultiSellExplorationData (§6.10)
- Faction info in Location/FSDJump: if it’s the player’s squadron faction, add SquadronFaction:true, and flags HappiestSystem:true or HomeSystem:true if relevant (§4.8)
- Fixed high res screen shot feature when zoomed into a body in FSS
- Fixed some Z-fighting found at Platers’s Tyranny port
- Fixed some flickering on glass materials in stations
- Make the light diffusion through volumetrics similar in appearance across graphics settings.
- Cockpit geometry occludes ship schematics now
- Fixed some jittering in ring fog
- Fixed for brightness of mining related volumetric effects when in shadow of planet
- Fixed rendering of glass material behind fog in stations
Ship Name Plates
- Text size is now affected when using leading and/or trailing spaces
- Randomised the results when browsing
- Added a new ‘Mentor’ activity tag
- Fixed issue where players could not use the gamepad to select a member to hand over the Squadron to
- The members list now defaults to sorting by rank (high – low)
- Shortened the invite text to solve truncated text
- Tags can now be edited after the Squadron has been created
- Fixed the Squadron feed tab being incorrectly reset upon ship destruction
- Players can now transfer ownership to players that are not currently online
- Faction alligence page now uses current state rather than pending state
- After a player is promoted/demoted, permissions are now granted/taken away immediately
- Tags can now be used to filter Squadron results
- Fixed a transaction server error when sharing a starport or settlement bookmark
- Fixed a bug preventing some pre-registered squadrons from changing their faction affiliation
- Fixed exploration data and CQC results not always being added to the squadron leaderboards
- Corrected the orbit of the moon around Earth
- Stopped the ship cockpit UI rendering through the pilots chair
- Ensured the ring scan effect (and hotspots) are correctly occluded by the planet geometry in both eyes.
- Fixed issue that causes the camera to clip through the pilots body more than usual
At 8:15pm on the 15th November Frontier announced some changes to the Thargoid narrative which will go live in the Beta next week. The details can be seen below, or on the official forum. Changes have been made to the Beyond: Chapter 4 page to reflect this.
As is fitting with the elusive Thargoids, we’ve got a surprise announcement for you!
In addition to all of the content we’ve revealed thus far for Beyond – Chapter Four, the Thargoid threat continues to infest the galaxy in the form of new Thargoid Incursions and Thargoid Conflict Zones. Please read on for all the details!
New State: Thargoid Incursion
- As time progresses, various systems will find themselves attacked by Thargoid Scouts and Interceptors.
- Commanders will need to defend the system by killing Thargoids, if they fail to kill a certain number of Thargoids, the system will enter a new Background Simulation state: Incursion.
- Incursion is a system-wide negative background state that impacts all the factions within that system.
- Players defend the system (before and during Incursion) by killing Thargoids in that system.
When a system enters Incursion, the following happens:
- One starport present in the system (that can be damaged) will be damaged.
- Each week that passes whilst Incursion is active, a new starport (that can be damaged) will be damaged.
- If a starport has been fixed after being damaged but the system is still in Incursion, it can be damaged again the week after.
- All megaships in the system at the point of the state enters Incursion, will appear damaged and unable to continue on their journey.
- Thargoid Scouts and Interceptors that were found in the initial attack will continue to have a presence, but stronger Thargoid Interceptors will now also make an appearance.
- Thargoid Conflict Zones will also be found in the system, which pits players against Thargoids in waves of combat.
- The Incursion state lasts (currently) indefinitely until players remove it.
- To overcome the Incursion state, Commanders must kill Thargoid Scouts and Interceptors.
- The amount of kills needed to remove the Incursion state varies from system to system.
We’ll be exploring the new Thargoid Combat Zones in a live-stream on 22 November, but if you can’t wait, you’ll be able to try them for yourselves in the beta next week!
Updated at: 2:38pm with link to known issues.
At 11:00am (UTC) on the 14th November 2018, Frontier released the Beta #3 (Ships) release on to the live server for testing. You can see the details here or read full details of the content here. The patch notes can be seen below or on the official site, here. You can find a list of known issues here.
> Patch Notes
Krait Phantom (Falcon DeLacy)
With a spacious cargo hold and a relatively generous quantity of hardpoints, the Krait Phantom is a versatile ship suited to a range of roles. It has enough firepower to hold its own against larger targets, and enough straight-line speed to outpace smaller targets. The ship also offers eight internal compartments, allowing the pilot to tailor the ship to their requirements. And while it lacks the firepower and fighter bay of its sister ship, the Krait Mk II, it is both faster and lighter.
- 2 large and 2 medium hardpoints
- 8 Internal optional slots
- Top speed of 256m/s and a boost speed of 358m/s
- 23LY laden FSD range
Mamba (Zorgon Peterson)
Based on an unreleased racing prototype, the Mamba is one of the fastest ships in production. It can also deliver a lot of punishment, boasting one huge and two large hardpoints. This emphasis on firepower and speed means the ship can hit hard and fast, vanishing before the target has a chance to react. Comparisons to the Fer-de-Lance, also produced by Zorgon Peterson, will be inevitable, but the Mamba is in fact faster in a straight line, while being slightly less manoeuvrable.
- 1 huge, 2 large and 2 small hardpoints
- 5 internal optional slots
- Top speed of 316m/s and a boost speed of 387m/s
- 37LY laden FSD range
New scenarios can now be found:
- Installations – Raid and Heist
- Megaship – Heist
- Damaged Megaship – Rescue and Repair
Quality of Life
- Added icon to info panel to show players if their ship or SRV lights are on
Bug Fixes and Improvements
- Fixed some typos in the playlist tab
- Fixed the broken ‘Frameshift Active…’ message on the right hand panel
- Fixed missing characters in Russian
- Ensure the summary of a discovery entry in the session log matches the detail
- Added some missing icons
- Fix some unlocalised strings
- Fix a cause for codex vouchers sometimes being unsellable
- Fix for multicrew crew members discovering things in the wrong star-system
- Fix some audio logs not grouping correctly
- Give INRA audio logs their own category
- Fixed instances where direct messages from other players where coming through as ‘Unidentified’
- Fix some issues for not always being placed into the correct star-system’s chat
- Fixed an issue where some players were unable to bind controls correctly
- Added a new default scheme ‘Keyboard and Mouse with Yaw’
- Fixed a crash that could occur whilst mining in an asteroid ring
- Fixed a crash that could occur when viewing Squadron applications
- Fixed a crash that could occur when opening the galaxy or system map
- Fixed a crash that could occur when mining with night vision on
- Fixed a crash that could occur when jumping into a new system
- Fixed crash that could occur when dropping into a ‘Notable Stellar Phenomena’ location
- Fixed a crash that could occur when using the FSS mode
- Fixed a crash that could occur when exiting the game
- Fixed crashed that could occur when dropping out at a weapons fire detected USS
- Fixed crash that could occur when changing 3D settings and exiting the graphics menu
- Fixed a crash that could occur in hyperspace
- Fixed crash that could occur when opening the Codex
- Fixed a crash that could occur when in the outfitting screens
- Fixed a crash that could occur in a Multicrew session
- Fixed smoke from over heating going through the cockpit
- Reduced the grade thresholds of the Colonia engineers
- Fixed legacy engineering modifications on DSS module are converted for new ones (and references to old ones are removed)
- FSS mouse sensitivity control option now works
- Fixed some locations that couldn’t be zoomed in on
- Fixed probes sometimes going through bodies
- Increased the text field for SAA gravity gauge (fixes some localisation issues)
- Added surface locations found after probing a body to the system map
- Planet surface signals are now targetable outside of Analysis mode
- Added the number of bodies info to the ‘Orbital Plane Established’ alert
- Fixed the discovery scanner SFX getting stuck looping
- Fixed issue where players could zoom in and discover a metal rich body whilst tuned to the asteroid section on the filtered spectral analysis
- Fixed missing info panel data when scanning a K class star for the first time
- Fixed an issue that could cause the planet map % to decrease whilst probing
- Changed the ‘scenarios’ section of the FSA to Concentrated signal sources and Transient signal sources
- Fixed surface signals disappearing after logging off
- Shortened the “Short Range Composition Scanner” name to “Composition Scanner”
- Added support for FSS tuning to be bound to in-outs that don’t auto-center
- Changed HOTAS joystick bindings to avoid FSS tuning and movement being on the same hand
- Now able to bind enter and exit FSS to the same button
- Fixed bodies rendering over their rings after beiing fully mapped
- Fixed asteroid clusters reporting high temperatures in FSS
- Added ‘First Mapped’ to system map
- Clarified the info message that appears when trying to enter FSS mode whilst charging the FSD
- Renamed ‘Radio Tuning Minimum Increase/Decrease’ to ‘Increase/Decrease Tuning’ in control options
- Updated info message theme when turning off analysis mode
- Updated info message when a target is too close to zoom in to from ‘Adaptive Zoom Blocked’ to ‘Target too close’
- Ensure the efficiency target can actually be met
- Fix a transaction server error when selling a page of exploration data that has zero credits value
- Fix some issues with planets not being targetable and not always displaying correctly on the system map or in FSS mode
- Fix some issues when spawning conflict zones in certain star systems
- Ensure settlement & codex vouchers correctly affect the faction simulation
- Fix some friends not always displaying correctly
- Fixed unreachable listening post In the “HIP 16753” system
- Fixed missing text in the Rhenium material description
- Fixed incorrect details title for Chemical processors material description
- Automatically fix ships with more than one FSD Interdictor modules
- Added a new space bar, “The Orange Sidewinder” …for real this time
- Fixed lighting issue on the planet in the Elevate CQC location
- Updated French translation of ‘High Metal Content World’
- Removed the superfluous ‘;’ from the system map when player is wanted
- Increased the cool down on the Pulse Wave Analyser, to allow the results to appear before players can trigger it again
- Resource Extraction Sites should now appear in applicable areas of the game
- Outfitting text for the Seismic Charge tool now mentions that it is used to break asteroids apart
- Delivery and Smuggle missions now warn players about being cargo laden and reduced jump range
- Reduce chance planetary Scan chooses POI owned by mission giver
- Added ‘Open Galaxy Map’ option to megaship missions
- Fixed issue where disabling defence turrets didn’t update or complete megaship disable missions
- Added missing hand in faction information to delivery missions
- Fixed race mission wrinkles appearing with very little time to complete them
- Fixed some objects still being highlighted whilst in vanity camera
- Fixed typos in audio options menu
- Fixed typos in controls options menu
- Ensured that all bodies that are discovered and displayed on the system map are also shown in the Orrery view
- Removed non-functioning planet map button
- Improve the line width scaling
- Fixed incorrect value being shown for ‘Limpet Life Time’
- Fixed incorrect schematic used for 8A thrusters
- Added 1 more ship and 2 more utility stock slots to all markets
- FSSSignalDiscovered – if signal is a USS, add a ThreatLevel value; if signal is a station, add IsStation:true; add SystemAddress
- Cargo – fix spurious extra events; add a flag to indicate vessel=Ship or Vessel=SRV
- CodexEntry: add SystemAddress
- json, Flags: add NightVision flag (bit28/0x10000000)
- SendText: include a journal entry for text to squadron or system chat
- ReceiveText: include a ‘Channel’ parameter to show if message was from squadron or system chat
- SAAScanComplete: remove lists of names of discoverers and mappers
- Ensure ‘Exit’ button in Material Traders takes players back to contacts, not to the Fines and Bounty claims contact
- Fixed broken ‘Welcome’ animation when opening the services menu
- Fixed typos in search and rescue contact description
- Fixed Crime Sweep conflict zones (both powers involved will now be actively fighting)
- Fixed dust mote popping in ring fog
- The list of systems that appear in the Squadron allegiance page is now sorted by name
- Fixed the Squadron logo used on the ‘browse more’ option
- Added Squadron icon to ‘invite’ option
- Remove placeholder text from Squadron invites
- Fixed Alliance logo appearing when non Alliance super powers are selected
- Can now invite players in local space, that are not friends
- Added a popup notification when handing over a Squadron to a different member
- Fix some dates not being displayed correctly
- Fix some transaction server errors when managing squadron members
- Fix for Powerplay leaderboard contributions not being counted
- Fix for Powerplay & Political leaderboards not displaying
- Fix authored messages not appearing in the squadron feed
- Removed a ‘phantom’ third ring around “Paesia 2” which was causing players to drop out of Supercruise when nothing was there
- Fixed wife dwarf jets cones being visible through bodies
- Changed ‘bonus active’ text when refueling the SRV through synthesis
- Ensure a state is shown for each faction listed, even if it is ‘None’
- Fixed installations and megaships incorrectly displaying as surface settlements
- Increase the thickness of orbit lines in the orrery view
- Ensure players can fully zoom into bodies in the orrery view
- Fixed the background on intermediate FSS zoom levels warping
- Fixed planet rings moving with the headset in FSS mode
- Fixed the SRVs full beam lens flare causing visual issues
- Fixed graphical errors when switching between FSS and SAA modes
- Fixed inverted joystick animations
- Fixed missing scan effect in FSS (that highlights areas of interest)
- Fix various fog and jet cone issues
Updated on 12th November 2018.
Frontier have confirmed in their latest newsletter that the Beta will finish on the 26th November. (Not 16th November as originally stated) As of yet there is no confirmation of when the release will go live.
Tonight at 7pm (UTC) Frontier will do the last of the streams for Beyond: Chapter 4. It will feature news on two new ships, the Mamba and the Krait Phantom. You can see a pre-release trailer of the Mamba below and watch the live stream here.