Released: 28th August 2018 | Patch Notes
Beyond: Chapter 3 is a free update to any players owning the Horizon expansion and will be released on Tuesday, 28th August 2018 following its preview at Gamescom 2018. Both this and Chapter 2 are considerably smaller than both the Q1 and Q4 updates in size. Neither of them will have a Beta period.
You can see the trailers for Chapter 3 below.
Guardian Based – Ship Launched Fighters (
The engineer Ram Tah has developed three new Guardian based launched fighter Hybrid Fighter Series named,
- XG7 Trident (Plasma Autocannon)
- XG8 Javelin (Shard Launcher)
- XG9 Lance (Gauss Focus Cannon)
Frontier described these as ships that are,
“Light, fast and agile with strong shields to let them dart into the fray. The trade-off, as with other smaller fighters, is that they have weaker hulls.
“To acquire a Hybrid fighter blueprint you will need to investigate new Guardian beacons (see below) which will point you in the direction of the sites to investigate.”
You can see the trailer for these new fighters below along with an in-game image.
- This matches the Chieftain and Challenger in combat and manoeuvrability but also has a ship launched fighter bay and has space for two multi-crew.
|Top Speed||180 m/s|
|Boost Speed||300 m/s|
|Cargo Capacity||40 t|
|Fuel Capacity||16 t|
|Landing Pad Size||Medium|
|Hardpoints||4x Utility Mounts
3x Small Hardpoints
2x Medium Hardpoints
1x Large Hardpoint
|Internals||2x Size 2 Compartments
2x Size 3 Compartments
2x Size 6 Compartments
3x Size 4 Military Compartments
- Large Dumbfire Missile
- Large Seeking Missile
- Large Torpedo Launcher
- Large Multi-cannon (Turret mount)
Human Tech Broker
- Small Shock Cannon (Turret, Gimbal & Fixed Mounts)
Guardian Tech Broker
- Small Plasma Launcher (Turret & Fixed Mounts)
- Small Shard Cannon (Turret & Fixed Mounts)
- Small Gauss Cannon (Turret & Fixed Mounts)
- New planetary settlement wing missions to take on with other commanders.
- New settlements with backstories to be discovered.
Engineers in Colonia
Four new engineers have been added to the game, based in Colonia as described by Frontier,
“The Engineers have arrived in Colonia! The engineers will be found at planet bases across the Colonia region and will only be available to players who have purchased the Horizons expansion and have done some engineering previously.
“The new Engineers will only make contact with Commanders who have interacted with Felicity Farseer, Elvira Martuuk, The Dweller, Liz Ryder and Tod “The Blaster” Mcquinn. As with all existing Engineers, the new additions will all have to be unlocked before they make their services available.
“Given that Colonia is a human colony on the fringe of space, not all technology will be available at first. Commanders out in fringe will need to work together with the Engineers to expand the available tech. That means the more a recipe is used the sooner will the improved version be made available.
“Each Engineer will start as level 1 and as usual you will need to complete a request to unlock the engineer before you can upgrade any modules. The community can work together to raise the level of these engineers from 1 to 3! The current grade of the Engineers will be shown on a local news article.”
The engineers in Colonia are as below (thanks to Inara):
- Mel Brandon: The Brig | Luchtaine
- Frame Shift Wake Scanner, Thrusters, Shield Generators, Burst Laser, Pulse Laser, Beam Laser.
- Marsha Hicks: The Watchtower | Tir
- Limpets, Refinery, Fuel Scoop, Cannon, Multi-Cannon, Fragment Cannon, Rail Gun
- Etienne Dorn: Kraken’s Retreat | Los
- Plasma Accelerator, Sensors, Detailed Surface Scanner, Life Support, Power Plant, Power Distributor, Frame Shift Wake Scanner, Kill Warrant Scanner, Manifest Scanner
- Petra Olmanova: Sanctuary | Asura
- Hull Reinforcement Package, Mine Launcher, Seeker Missle Rack, Torpedo Pylon, Armour, Missile Rack, Chaff Launcher, Electronic Countermeasure, Heat Sink Launcher, Point Defence
“New Guardian Beacons have been discovered in the galaxy. These will lead you to new discoveries and help you uncover new Guardian secrets. The puzzles you solve at these giant structures will lead you to unlock some incredible new technology.”
> New Holo-Screens
The Holo-screens designed by winners of Frontier’s competition will also be appearing in the Chapter 3 update. You can see more details in the video below.
> Quality of Life Improvements>
It’s now possible for players to accept missions that contain amounts of cargo that they are unable to fit into their current ship. This enables players to do multiple delivery trips in a small ship or to change to a larger ship before loading the cargo on board.