Here’s a quick list of the most frequently asked questions about the Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter One Beta.
1) How do I download the beta?
The beta can be downloaded in one of two ways. Either via the game launcher as usual or for the first time ever, via Steam! When the beta goes live on January 25, 2018, please follow the instructions below to install the beta via Steam.
If you have Elite Dangerous in your Steam Library, you will be able to participate in the Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter One Beta using the Steam client. If you purchased the game from the Frontier Store and would like to add it to your Steam library, please follow the instructions in this support article.
To opt into the Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter One Beta on Steam:
1. Open the Steam client and navigate to your Library.
2. Right-click on Elite Dangerous and select Properties.
3. Click on the BETAS tab.
4. Select “Beta” through the drop-down box.
5. You will be prompted to restart your client. After restarting, launch Elite Dangerous to access Beyond – Chapter One Beta.
6. Select the beta from the launcher as usual.
Please note that once the beta build goes live, you may not see the “Beta” option immediately in the Steam client as the build may take some time to propagate. In this case, please restart your Steam client and try again in a few minutes.
2) Who is eligible to take part in the beta?
Every PC/Mac player is eligible to take part in the beta. This includes both players who own the Horizons Season Pass and those who do not. Not every part of the beta (and full update) will be available to those without the Season Pass.
3) How much does the beta cost?
The Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter One beta is free of charge.
4) Can consoles take part in the beta?
Unfortunately, we are currently unable to provide Elite Dangerous betas on consoles.
5) When will console players get to experience Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter One?
Console players will be able to experience the full Elite Dangerous: Beyond – Chapter One update at the same time as the PC players. Currently, we do not have a date available for the full update, but you’ll be able to find out about it here on the forums or on our social channels when it’s announced!
6) When will the beta go live on Thursday 25, 2018?
We don’t have a set time for the beta to go live at this time, but we will keep you up to date via our social channels throughout the day
7) Should I take the day off to play the beta?
We wouldn’t advise taking time off to play the beta first thing tomorrow, as we don’t have an exact time that this will go live!
8) How do I report bugs that I’ve found in the beta?
A beta-specific bug forum will be opened on our forums tomorrow, 25 January 2018.
9) Do I have to start from the beginning of the game during the beta?
No. Your main game saves will have been duplicated within the last few weeks and applied to the beta server. This means you’ll be able to play through the beta with most of your current game progress intact.
10) Does my progress during the beta carry over to the main game?
No. Everything you do in the beta will be wiped when the update goes live for the main game, and no progress will be carried across.
11) What content is in the beta?
You can find our beta Livestream recaps here to find out what content will be available in the beta!
Let us know if you have any further questions regarding the beta!
Social channels to follow:
Twitter – https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/EliteDangerousOfficial
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/elitedangerous