On the 27th March 2018 Radio Lave did an interview with Adam Bourke-Waite of Frontier on the way missions work in the game, what they involve and how they have evolved. One interesting piece of information is that as of the weekend of 24th March there have been 1,673,246 completed missions. You can find the interview here starting at 18 mins 20 seconds.
“At 10:16am on the 28th March 2018, Frontier announced a small update to the game. You can see the patch note below, or on the official site, here.
“We are taking the PC galaxy servers down now for the 3.0.5 update which will fix the Trade Data issue detailed yesterday. We do not have an estimated time when the servers will be back online but we’ll communicate here and on our social media channels when they are.
“The fix will come on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One early next week and we’ll update you here when that fix will come.
“See the changelog below.”
- Fixed an issue that caused a Commander’s Trade Data to not display
At 3:33pm on the 26th March 2018 Frontier announced the release of the 3.0.4 patch update. The servers are expected to be down for up to 2 hours. You can see the patch notes below, on the Elite: Dangerous – Current Features part of this blog or on the offical site, here.
“We are taking the galaxy servers down now for the 3.0.4 update which has a number of bug fixes. It also reverts the changes made to hot ships and access to outfitting in the 3.0.3 update, which means ships can now access outfitting anywhere except Starports controlled by a faction that has issued a bounty or fine against them.
Details about future crime proposals can be found here. Estimated downtime is approximately two hours, and we’ll communicate here and on our social media channels when the servers are back online. Thank you all for your patience. The change log can be found below:
- Fixed a cockpit shadow issue near planets on the PS4
- Restored the version info text to the main menu on the XB1
- Fixed an issue where players couldn’t pay off bounties via the Interstellar Factors Contact when their notoriety was 0
- Refuelling from the Star port Services screen is now allowed while under Anonymous Access Protocol
- Power bounties are now cleared when the player leaves or defects from a power
- Power bounties are now included when cleaning a ship with Interstellar Factors
- Outfitting service is always open (where available) except when using anonymous access
- Fixed scans in settlements only giving one data material, apart from Guardian Blueprints which intentionally return one
- Fixed an issue where police will spawn in anarchy systems at a USS
Local News Reports
- Fixed the wrong ship name appearing in the top 5 bounty lists if a commander appears in more than one list
- Fixed ship bounties not being added to the top 5 bounty lists on login
- Fixed top 5 bounty list entries not expiring after 5 days
- Fixed superpower bounties not being added to the top 5 bounty list when issued
- Long distance passenger missions now properly allow the selection of a mission reward
- Fixed rank up missions not spawning
- Fixed some Search and Rescue missions not correctly reflecting the repair state of the Starport
- Fixed some mission-only cargo types not being available
- Delivery Wing mission payouts have been increased and the cargo requirement decreased
- Crew members now unlock trade data correctly when the helm scans a Nav Beacon
- Fixed localised strings where the localisation resources redirect to another text symbol
- Fixed missing “PayBounties” event
- Ensured commodity names are localised in CargoDepot interactions, and when scooping and dumping from SRV
- Fixed some factions having their influence displayed incorrectly
- Fixed a rare memory crash
- Fixed a connection issue that could occur near SYNUEFE VM-D C15-10 2 A
- Fixed a connection issue that could occur near planet surfaces
- Fixed a crash that could occur when using the Kill Warrant Scanner
- Fixed the tourist beacon issue where the beacons became misplaced
Weapons & Modules
The damage values displayed for experimental weapons now more accurately represent the damage that they will deal against human vessels
At 10:10am on the 19th March 2018 Frontier announced the release of the 3.0.3 patch for the Beyond series. The original post can be seen here with the patch notes, or you can see them below or at the bottom of the Elite: Dangerous – Current Features section of this blog. Note: This patch sees the return of mining missions back into the game (it’s not expressly stated in the patch notes. The patch notes here also show a couple of changes mentioned by Sandro Sammarco, here. The original patch notes may or may not be amended to reflect this.
“We are taking the galaxy servers down now for the 3.0.3 update which will bring improvements and correct various issues on all platforms. We do not have an estimated time when the servers will be back online but we’ll communicate here and on our social media channels when they are. See the changelog below.
“Not only are we bringing numerous fixes to bugs and crashes, but also an improvement to gameplay mechanics, as detailed below by lead designer, Sandro Sammarco.
“In regard to Power Bounties, this is a short-term solution to allow us to continue to work on further fixes without hindering the PowerPlay experience. We’ll have more information for you as soon as possible.
“Once again, thank you all for your continued positive and constructive feedback. Your bug reports and support allows us to continually improve Elite Dangerous.
“Outfitting of ‘Hot’ Ships
“We’re changing the crime system when it comes to ‘hot’ ships.
“The reason for this is that the system of cleaning ‘hot’ modules in storage was creating an unfair punishment, where commanders were removing modules from ‘hot’ ships that only had small bounties on them and then discovered that the cost for cleaning ‘hot’ modules was dramatically more expensive!
“From 3.0.3 you will no longer be able to access outfitting at any port whilst in a ‘hot’ ship, thus you will not be able to make any load-out changes. You’re required to first clean the ship by paying off fines and bounties issued against it. Outfitting services will then be restored.
“It’s worth noting that we will automatically clean ‘hot’ modules in storage when we deploy this update.
“We feel this change simplifies the rules even more and prevents players from paying unnecessary amounts of credits.
“Power bounties are supposed to be an incentive for consensual PvP during PowerPlay activities. They are meant to provide credits to players claiming them, whilst not punishing players they are issued against (such as no anonymous access protocols, no detention centre respawning and no increased transfer costs). They’re also meant to last until claimed or you leave the power. Basically, when you get one, it’s just some extra money stuck on your head that opposing power players can claim when they kill you.
“Unfortunately, Power Bounties seem to be triggering some of the punishments that normal bounties do, and are not always being removed when you leave a Power. As an interim fix, we are allowing Interstellar Factors to clear Power Bounties, while we investigate the issues.
“We’re also aware of an issue with the Top 5 Bounty Boards and are looking into it!
- Fixed glitching effect triggering incorrectly on COVAS
- Fixed an issue where interstellar bounty audio lines would play incorrectly on subsequent bounties
- Fix blackmarket availability from stations that changed ownership when their controlling faction retreated from their starsystem
Controls & Control Devices
- Fixed a bug that mapped the headlook motion control yaw axis to the pitch axis for DualShock4 on PS4
- Fixed some double-bound buttons for the T Flight HOTAS One and 4
- Fixed an issue where players were unable to pay off a fine they had received in their SRV after transferring back to their ship
- Fixed ATR response not resetting upon ship destruction
- The Kill Warrant Scanner grants a license to kill for any faction bounty linked to the current jurisdiction’s superpower
- Outfitting is now locked for players in Hot Ships, even in jurisdictions where they are not directly wanted. All currently stored modules will be cleaned
- A player’s own Power Bounties no longer cause their legal status to appear as ‘Wanted’ or increase their local bounty in their own cockpit
- Attacking Wanted ships (player or NPC) is now legal even if the player does not know they are Wanted
- Fixed an issue where Superpower bounties would be displayed with incorrect values
- Fixed an issue where players were not forced to pay certain fines/bounties when respawning at a Detention Centre
- All bounties detected with the Kill Warrant Scanner are claimed when the ship is destroyed
- Superpower bounties are issued once a ship has bounties in 5 or more factions affiliated with a superpower
- Destroyed ships will be recovered by the faction controlling the jurisdiction, or the faction controlling the port they were last docked at where possible
- Factions that recover destroyed ships will check for criminal debts and deport the player to the nearest detention centre to pay them
- NPCs have a chance to be affiliated with factions from nearby systems, and a smaller chance to be from further afield
- Wanted NPCs may have secondary bounties issued by factions from other systems
- KWS detects all faction bounties from all factions in all systems (not Power bounties or superpower bounties)
- KWS grants license to kill when superpower matches between current jurisdiction and faction bounty
- NPCs have bounties from current jurisdiction, other factions in system, factions in nearby systems and occasionally factions from great distances
- Adjusted the text layout in the Convert Modified Module UI to prevent it from being cut off
- Fixed an issue where the Guardian Power Plant could be Engineered
Galaxy Map/System Map
- Fixed the Galaxy Map filter configuration selection not persisting on subsequent re-openings of the Galaxy Map
- Fixed an issue where the System Map displayed unpopulated systems with a security level of Low instead of Anarchy
- Fixed Influence levels in the System Map not totalling 100
- Fixed some pilot helmets not matching the suit colour you are using
- Fixed some of the Guardian Sites having a different layout since the 3.0 update
- Fixed a pylon that could not be scanned at a Guardian Site
- Fixed an issue where some Guardian Codices only displayed when in a group
- Balance pass on wing delivery and collect missions
- Skimmers only spawn when you are in an SRV
- While in a ship, approaching Settlements where Skimmers are spawned will trigger the crime of trespass
- Fixed assassination missions showing players the target mission system prematurely
- Adjusted reputation reward numbers to balance Superpower progression speed
- Fixed some missions offering the requested cargo as a reward after handing it over
- Collect missions will no longer give out rewards which are wanted by collect missions from the same station
- Changes made to make Massacre Missions spawn more reliably
- Superpower Rank-up Missions have been moved to the Follow On Missions section to make them easier to find
- Fixed an issue where factions could send players on Spec Ops missions to their own systems
- Players can no longer delete Wing Mission Reward messages until the reward has been claimed
- Increased the payouts for bulk passenger Missions
- Smuggling and altruism missions will now correctly display the rewarded amount of influence and reputation
- Fixed an issue that could cause Ram Tah missions to expire too early
- Fixed a softlock that could occur when attempting to use the Multi-Crew tab in the Comms Panel after leaving a wing
- Fixed the TechnologyBroker event mixing up Commodities and Materials
- Server synchronised time is now used for Journal timestamps
- Fixed the Status.json flag for lights when in the SRV
- All economy types are now listed in cases where a station has several
- More information is included about Wing Cargo Delivery missions
- Fixed the ‘fuel scooping’ flag in status.json
- Fixed the ‘low fuel’ flag in status.json when in an SRV
- PowerPlay bounties can be paid off at Interstellar Factors
Ships & SRV
General Ship Fixes and Improvements
- Fixed an issue whereby you could not retract your ship’s landing gear after dying in an SRV
- Fixed an issue where players were sometimes unable to rebuy their ship after disconnecting when dying
- Improved the field of fire on a Large Turreted Weapons when equipped to the Large Hardpoint
- Fixed Chieftain cockpit hit region being oversized
- Fixed an issue whereby re-logging when driving an SRV could lead to issues boarding your ship
- Fixed a symmetry issue with the Pulse Paintjob
- Fixed a UI crash in the missions screen that could occur when using various filters
- Fixed a crash that could occur when transitioning between locations
- Fixed a crash that could occur during a Multi-Crew session if the player’s ship is destroyed
- Fixed a crash that could occur in systems with no factions
- Updated the Interstellar Factors’ name in the System Map to preserve consistency
- Re-instated the decimal place on the stats page and the system map and changed the value format accordingly
- The Materials Ignore List automatically ignores any materials which the player does not have the capacity to collect
- Fixed mining fragments not displaying the material percentage when selected
- Fixed total earnings in commander stats when selling pages of exploration data
- Speculative fix was introduced for the Comms Panel issue
- Fixed Sidewinder hull panels rendering incorrectly when viewed from inside the cockpit
Weapons & Modules
- Added an extra decimal point to the display of power plant heat rate to allow small changes to be seen.
On the 15th March 2018 Frontier gave another update regarding the 3.0.3 patch update. You can read it below or on the Frontier website, here.
“As you might have guessed, update 3.0.3 will occur sometime next week and we’ll confirm with you the date and time in the near future.
“Aside from the list we mentioned here, we have information about some of the issues reported in this thread:
- Material package for the affected players of the Guardian Power Plant issue.
Material packages have been sent out to affected players. If you haven’t received yours, please contact our Customer Support team here.
- Material drops at settlements provide only one item instead of three.
Please see here.
- Broken turrets on the Anaconda.
Edit: This should have been resolved in 3.0.3.
- Transmitter relating to the Eagle Eye Mystery located in Huveang De doesn’t appear to transmit its full message, just repeats the first part before mentioning the next system location.
This is not a bug, and was intended.
- Powerplay bounties cause a ship to become permanently ‘hot’ and subject to ‘hotness’ penalties for ship transfer.
This is something we’re currently investigating and if you have reports about this please ensure they’re reported in the bug report section.
- Ram Tah mission disappearing
- Decimals in the System Map. Should be a minor reversion to how it was in 2.4 and any time prior in the game before 3.0 Beta, and 3.0 live.
These should now be fixed in 3.0.3.
- Materials should automatically add themselves to the ignore list once they’re maxed out, and un-ignore once you’ve gone below the maximum.
For 3.0.3 materials that you have maxed out should become auto-ignored.
“We will continue to investigate the rest of the issues reported in this thread and we encourage players to make bug reports here if they continue to encounter anything else.
“A full list of changes will be posted on the day of the update; however, we will also be making some revisions to crime functionality. We’ve provided some details by Lead Designer, Sandro Sammarco, below:
“For 3.0.3 we’re altering crime functionality: when you are wanted in a jurisdiction, your ship automatically deactivates the system authority link to prevent crimes gainst you from being detected. This is in line with it using anonymous access protocols to protect you from detection when docking at ports where you are wanted. It means that players will no longer be committing crimes when attacking wanted ships, even if they have not scanned them. It is still important to scan vessels that you are unsure about, but you will no longer become a criminal for attacking a criminal.
“Thanks for your continued patience.”
You can read the original piece here, or below.
“Just wanted to thank you for your continued community feedback, patience and support – the constructive reports and information we’ve received from you has been incredibly important in allowing us to fix bugs and resolve game issues. All of it is being taken into account, so please keep it coming, and thank you for keeping it as constructive as possible.
“We have noticed a lot of discussion surrounding various issues and the temporary fixes in place for those issues. We wanted to take a moment to update you on what steps we are making to resolve various issues.
“Here are some of the issues we’ve previously spoken on:
- Engineer Guardian Modules – It was possible to engineering Guardian Modules when it shouldn’t have been. We’ve prevented players from engineering the module and offered a compensation package to affected players who had engineered their modules.
- Skimmer Missions – The payouts for these skimmer missions exceeded what we felt was appropriate for these missions, so we have temporarily removed them. We are working on a fix, details of when we expect that to be in game are below
- Mining Missions – Mining missions offered rewards which could then be used to complete additional mining missions. This was not the intended use of the new mission reward system so we have temporarily removed mining missions.
“While the solutions we have implemented are temporary, permanent fixes for the above issues are on their way with the 3.0.3 update. We expect this update to be released at the end of next week or at the start of the following week, depending on how our internal tests go.
“Here’s a list of things we’re currently working on for that update*:
- Updates to the Kill Warrant Scanner (including licence to kill if a bounty is detected)
- Updates to the generation of bounties on AI ships (to improve background simulation and support the new KWS)
- Superpower bounties
- Updates to the respawn rule (to improve flow robustness and legibility)
- Locking off outfitting (to stop confusing flow for players trying to wipe low cost fines/bounties and being stung with huge module cleaning bills, and to close a missed ‘loop hole’ where players didn’t have to face the consequences of crime)
- Skimmer missions re-enabled, with improved effectiveness of anti-ship base weaponry. Missions will no longer select planetary bases with inefficient defences
- Mining missions re-enabled and no longer offer the same commodities as a reward that would be required by other local missions
- ATR response now being cleared after death
- Mining fragments now show the % of what resources it contains
- Massacre missions now spawn for factions in a war state
- Galaxy map configuration now persists
- Adjusted settlement data so that missions no longer erroneously direct players to locations where they cannot be completed
- Increased bulk passenger mission rewards and balanced the rewards for Wing Delivery missions, and addressed issues with reputation gain
- Stop players being able to delete wing mission reward inbox messages, which stopped them from being able to collect the reward
- Players can pay of fines that were incurred whilst in the SRV
- Rank up missions now appear as a ‘follow up’ mission, to make it clear to the player
- Fixed gyroscopic head look on PS4
- Fixed collector limpets so that they automatically ignore materials that you have maxed out
- Fixed collector limpets so they ignore correctly when used by Gunner role in Multi-crew
“*This is a near-complete list of things we are working on and aim to fix with release of the 3.0.3 update.
“We’ll be sure to update you on any further information as soon as it becomes available and we thank you for your patience.
Will and the Frontier Developments Team”
On the 6th March at 10:09am Frontier announced the servers would be taken down so the 3.0.2 patch could be applied to the game. The patch notes will appear below and here once they are made available.
- Fixed cases of Data Links not having any audio
- Fixed the missing main menu background for the XB1 Arena Edition
Controls & Control Devices
- Changes made to the throttle at any point during a hyperspace jump should now be preserved properly
- Fixed various T.Flight Hotas One and T.Flight Hotas 4 conflicts and issues for the default bindings
- Assigned a CQC scoreboard binding for T.Flight Hotas One and T.Flight Hotas 4 for all platforms
- Notoriety exemption for murder by ramming now applies everywhere, not just near stations
- Applying a new blueprint will now correctly update the icon to indicate it’s selected
- Fixed an issue whereby applying a second blueprint immediately after creating the first caused the game to softlock
- Fixed issue where material and data capacities reset to 100 after generating an Engineer Blueprint
- Fixed an issue where clicking on the list of experimental effects consumed materials
- Fixed an issue where outfits you do not own would remain displayed when backing out of a sub menu
- Fixed instances of Pictograms not displaying correctly at Guardian Sites
- Fixed some collision detection at a Guardian Site
- Fixed issue where Guardian Blueprints could be incorrectly obtained by scanning a codex
- Fixed an issue where the Thargoid Massacre mission would not update correctly
- Engineered AI ships have been added to Assassination Wing Missions to provide more challenge
- Adjusted mission payouts for Thargoid Massacre Wing missions
- Raised the minimum rep requirements for Thargoid Massacre Wing missions
- Adjusted the mission flow for the ‘Docking and Travel’ tutorial for clarity
- Fixed Thargoid Massacre and Thargoid Massacre Wing missions appearing in the wrong locations
- Added reward choices to Planetary Hack missions
- Fixed an issue where a non-Helm Multi-Crew member would occasionally not use the Helm’s resource ignore list
- Added more data to the full Xeno Scan of a Thargoid Scout
- Fixed additional cases of System Authority Ships spawning in Anarchy Systems
- Fixed ship name plates unintentionally allowing line breaks
- Fixed some instances of dark squares on planet surfaces
- Fixed a localisation issue
- Added info about the category when a mission reward includes materials
- Inventory materials with a quantity of zero are now omitted from being written to the Journal at startup
- The status.json file is now updated more often when the longitude/latitude changes when driving the SRV
- Fixed a journal player credit balance discrepancy when buying/selling drones
- Wing missions are now indicated in the Journal’s MissionAccepted event
- Cargo Wing Mission progress is now written to the Journal
- Added info to the Journal’s CargoDepot event to indicate if it is a local player collect or deliver, or if it is a wing update
- Fixed Regular Bounties being awarded instead of Power Bounties with Independent Powers
- Prevented notoriety gain from Power Bounties
- Commodities Markets should now be at stations that have Black Markets
- You can now rescue political prisoners at the Search and Rescue contact instead of selling them on the open market
Ships & SRV
- Fixed the retro drives not being audible when inside the cockpit
- Remixed engine sounds, which were too loud during combat
- Fixed a cockpit material appearing incorrectly
- Fixed issues with external sounds
- Fixed audio issues in multi crew for the second chair
- Fixed a crash that could occur when attempting to quit the game while you have a module selected in the right hand panel
- Fixed a crash that could occur when in an SRV
- Fixed a crash that could occur when shooting surface rocks with a missile
- Fixed an instance of controller button icons being displayed incorrectly
- Fixed the ammo text position for the Guardian Plasma Charger always appearing on the right
- Fixed rank mismatch for materials between the Material Trader and Inventory
- Removed the legacy ‘Discard’ button from materials
- Fixed some instances of Inbox text overlay
Weapons & Modules
- Fixed some instances of incorrect integrity and power-draw on some Limpet Controllers
- Fixed the AX-Remote Flak particles not appearing after impacting with a surface