At 7pm on the 16th August 2018 Frontier announced that Chapter 3 of Beyond would be released on Tuesday, 28th August 2018.
Further details of the content will be revealed to those attending Gamescom on the 22nd August with more public details following the next day. A short teaser trailer can be seen below hinting at the return of The Guardians. More detail will appear here during and after Gamescom.
On Tuesday the 25th June 2018 at 7pm BST Frontier will host a pre-launch stream for the upcoming Chapter 2 release in the Beyond series. A Frontier post on the official forum read,
So, you’ve heard the news? No? Well, we’re pleased to announce that, in the 3.1 update (coming this Thursday), the long-awaited Krait MK II will be making an appearance!
Commanders across the galaxy will soon be in the cockpit of the Krait MK II… but, before any of that, Ed and I will be taking to the stars in a Krait of our own, showing it off in all of its awesome glory!
Join us live on 26 June at 7:00 PM BST on our YouTube channel, where we’ll be taking a closer inspection of the latest ship coming to Elite Dangerous!
We’ll see you there, and have a Krait day!
On the 17th May 2018 at 7pm (BST), Frontier will be discussing Community Goal submissions during a live stream.
“Player-submitted Community Goals will be coming back very soon! We’re changing a few things up, so join me and, Principal Designer, Steve Kirby to talk about the old system, the new system, why we’ve changed and how it works!
We’ll be going live tomorrow night (17/05) at 7PM (BST).
Tune in here
“See you there, Commanders!”
Thanks to all round good egg Stuart GT on Reddit, here is a summary of the details taken from last night’s live stream with Adam Bourke-Waite. A summarised version of this information will appear in due course on the Beyond: Chapter 4 page. Please note: This is just the first part of the discussion on Squadrons, more will follow in due course.
- Squadrons ≃ “guilds”, and a multiplayer organisation tool, to enhance and organise existing gameplay
- Not being designed around Solo CMDRs, being designed around groups of CMDRs
- Leaders/Officers will not gain benefits (credits, resources)
- Minimum requirement for creating a Squadron = 1 CMDR
- Minimum requirement for many Squadron features (e.g. getting a Carrier) = “a number of CMDRs”
- Squadron names can be reserved for existing player groups, to prevent name-sniping
- Squadron name will be permanent upon its creation, and must be unique
- Will a deleted-Squadron’s name be available again = don’t know, will check with server, gameplay teams
- Will rank be a requirement for Squadron creation = no
- Custom decals/logos for Squadrons = not at the moment
- Squadron-creation fee hasn’t been set yet – want to prevent Squadron-creation spam yet still allow smalls groups to create them
- Invitations can be disabled, i.e. “this Squadron is not accepting new members”
- Squadron page will be accessible in-cockpit, and similarly sized to Starport Services
- While creating a Squadron costs a credit fee, joining one is free
- 250 cap increase being discussed amongst the devs (design, server, gameplay teams)
- Squadron alliances/connections being discussed amongst the devs (design, server, gameplay teams)
- Potential for both the cap increase and alliances/connections to be added
- Minor faction and Powerplay allegiances/ties not being talked about yet, but aren’t a no
- Squadron bank is not being discussed now (will be during main Carrier feedback)
- Wings will stay the same
- Plenty of Squadron selectable “tags” available to help filtering/searching (e.g. search & rescue, PvP, timezones, Conlonia) and want more suggestions
- Each Squadron will have a 4 character ID to appear *somewhere* with CMDR names for identification
- Instancing will not be changed to allow 250+ CMDRs in same instance, but…
- …will be easier for members to join the same instance as they’ll have high matchmaking priority
- Squadrons and notoriety? Will be discussed at a later point
- Will Squadron chat have a back history, to read when you go online = no
- Squadron “rank” count (3 so far – Leader, Officers, Pilots) increase being discussed amongst the devs (design, server, gameplay teams)
- Officers privileges are fully-customisable anyway, so different officers in same Squadron can have different roles
- Those ranks will not be renamable
- Carrier is a very large ship that members can dock with
- Carrier can jump if a large enough amount of a “resource” is collected
- Carrier movement not restricted to weekly server tick, can jump whenever enough “resource” is collected
- Can have a Squadron without a Carrier
- Squadron “beacon” for pointing members to a place/meetup is being discussed amongst the devs (design, server, gameplay teams)
- Stickied Squadron chat message-of-the-day can contain instructions/details/whatever
- Squadron comms will be text
- Squadrons and their comms are not cross-platform
- Non-members can visit and see another Squadron’s Carrier, visibly identify its upgrades, but cannot dock at it
- Nobody can create more than one Squadron
- Edge-cases of Squadron leadership (inactive, wiped save, etc) being discussed by the devteam
- Squadron-created missions = no
- Squadron comms might be cross-gamemode, i.e. messaging across Open/Group/Solo
- Will Squadron members be visible on the Galaxy map, cross-gamemode = being discussed amongst the devteam
- Squadron page will contain statistics, roster, Carrier details, info & chat feeds, etc
- Can you hide your Squadron ID = don’t know, will discuss amongst the devteam
- More information on Carriers in the future
- Will it be possible to walk around in the Carrier = no, it will not be introducing SpaceLegs
- Carriers can be customised, details to be announced in future
- Carriers are of Megaship scale, and cost will be paid for by the Squadron, not specifically the Leader
- Edward Lewis keeps sabotaging the stream: first no audio, and the lights keep switching off
- Will Squadrons be able to have a description = no (initially), hoping the tagging system will be enough
- Will the feed contain news for bragging rights, PvP kills, etc = give your feedback on what you want in the feed
Frontier have announced a Live stream for this evening (Thursday 10th May 2018) to discuss the first part of the feedback for the Squadrons feature which is coming in quarter 4. You can follow it from 6pm BST with Senior Designer Adam Bourke-Waite here.
Note: Date for Squadrons has been changed by Frontier to the 8th May.
On the 2nd May 2018 Frontier announced that the Focused Feedback Forums would be re-appearing for various topics. You can see the post here, or below. Links
“While we’re hard at work on the next update for Elite Dangerous Beyond 3.1, we wanted to share our plans for the Focused Feedback Forum, and when you’ll see particular topics come up for discussion.
“The Focused Feedback Forum, for those who don’t know, is an area of the forum where we describe and explain our concepts for future features coming as part of Elite Dangerous Beyond. When the forum post goes live, we then welcome constructive and focused feedback from our community on each topic. Previous Focused Feedback Forum discussions have proven to be extremely useful for development, so we wanted to get things going as soon as possible in order to best consider your suggestions.
“We’d like to thank you again for all of your feedback across social media, the forums and direct messages. Although the Focused Feedback Forums give us a place to focus on specific topics, we still pass on every suggestion and comment to the development team for consideration.
“It’s important to note that the following list and dates are not final, and we have to allow for some flexibility. You may also see other topics pop up in addition to those listed below, we will keep you up to date when or if we’re adding any more discussion topics. Please note that the topics will overlap (as you can clearly see below) – this allows us to keep the discussion topics open for as long as possible, and gather as much information as we need. The main topic will be introduced, followed up by the inclusion and announcement of sub topics relating to the original discussion. As well as opening up the forums for discussion, we’ll also be hosting live streaming discussions with the developers on each topic. We’ll give you more information on these streams as we solidify the schedule.
Estimated start dates
“Thanks again for your continued support and feedback, we’re very excited to share our ideas with you.
“Ed and the Elite Dangerous team”
On Thursday, 8th February at 7pm GMT Sandro Sammarco will join Ed Lewis to answer players questions about the upcoming content in the forthcoming Beyond release.