Tonight at 7pm (UTC) Frontier will do the last of the streams for Beyond: Chapter 4. It will feature news on two new ships, the Mamba and the Krait Phantom. You can see a pre-release trailer of the Mamba below and watch the live stream here.
Last Updated: 4:21pm (UTC)
At 3:58pm on the 7th November 2018 Frontier released the second part of the Beta which is now LIVE!
> Beta #2 – Patch Notes
- Players can now create a Squadron (for a credit fee), or browse existing ones to join from the right hand cockpit panel
- Play style tags can be used when creating a Squadron, and as a filter when browsing existing ones
- Squadrons can be aligned to a Superpower, Power and a Faction
- Squadron allegiance page allows in depth data on chosen Faction
- Squadrons can take part in the various leaderboards, and compete for the top spot
- Squadron feed tab in the Comms panel lists certain events, as well as Public and Internal posts
- Squadron management tools (applicable to certain ranks):
- Invite Commanders to join
- Kick lower ranked members
- Promote/demote lower ranked members
- Change lower ranked privileges
- Create posts
- Accept applications
- Set if the Squadron is accepting new members
- Join in the Leader text chat channel
- 3 new mining processes added (in addition to the standard mining laser process):
- Surface Deposits – material deposits that can be found on the surface of asteroids
- Sub-surface Deposits – material deposits that can be found below the surface of an asteroid
- Fissures – setting the correct ‘Seismic charge’ into fissures will split the asteroid apart, allowing the deep core materials to be mined
- 4 new mining tools added to outfitting:
- Pulse wave Analyser – a scanner used to pinpoint the correct asteroid once in a ring
- Abrasion Blaster – used to break off surface material deposits from asteroids
- Sub-surface Displacement Missile – Allows recovery of sub-surface material deposits from asteroids
- Seismic Charge Launcher – Allows recovery of deep core materials by splitting the asteroid apart
Bug fixes and Improvements
This update includes numerous fixes for various issues that have been discovered and investigated during the development process, and we’ll be introducing additional fixes in the next beta update.
- NPC ships should use the reboot/repair option when drives are at 0%
- Fixed missing background chatter when near surface bases
- Updated descriptions on where to hand in or pay off transactions in the transactions tab
- Fixed descriptions becoming out of sync, and showing a previous selection
- Decreased the time it takes for images to appear
- Added extra feedback to the chat channel tab when the player receives a message
- Fixed Superpower icons not appearing when choosing a side to fight for
- Ensure faction details are shown in info panel when a CZ is targeted
- Fixed misspelt word “Captain”
- Fixed issue where objectives would fail to promptly appear after choosing a side
- Fixed crash that could occur whilst using FSS mode
- Fixed crash that could occur during ship reboot/repair
- Fixed crash that could occur when opening the Codex
- Fixed crash that could occur when clearing a save
- Fixed a crash that could occur when exiting the Galaxy Map
- Fixed a softlock that could occur whilst loading in to the game
- Fixed a crash that could whilst in analysis mode
- Fixed soft lock that could occur when exiting Galaxy Map and returning to the Codex
- Fixed crash that could occur when opening the system map
- Fixed crash that could when dropping into planetary rings
- Fixed crash that could occur whilst the using the Codex
- Fixed crash that occur when loading in to the game
- Fixed crash that could occur when switching screen resolutions
- Fixed crash that could occur when plugging in a controller
- Fixed a crash that could occur as a player joins a Multicrew ship that is near a volcanic POI
- Fixed crashed that could occur when fighting a Hydra
- Fixed crash that could occur when switching between a mothership and fighter
Crime and Punishment
- Ensure contacts tab is correctly updated after using the Kill Warrant Scanner
- Balance pass on the High Yield Shells engineering special
- Fixed issue with the default Keyboard and Mouse and Classic Keyboard Only control schemes in FSS. Also added additional key bindings for the tuning on keyboard for both of these.
- Added separate controls for the SAA mode third person camera controls so that they can be bound differently
- Fixed issue with camera positioning resetting incorrectly when zooming out in FSS mode
- Switched the Discovery Scanner to a built in module, that is fitted to all ships. This frees up a slot for players to use. Refunded credits too
- Fixed mismatched temperature readings between FSS and System Map
- Ensure button icons are used (where appropriate) in the help screens
- Can now correctly hand in codex data at the Authority Contact for credit reward
- Fixed some stars flickering when zoomed in
- Fixed scanned rings not storing their scanned state correctly
- Removed non-accessible tabs from the comms panel whilst in FSS (text communications will still come though)
- Added a fade to black when transitioning to FSS mode and back to cockpit
- Fixed the ‘Open Codex’ shortcut when player has made a discovery
- Added a background to the body data when zoomed in to one
- Reduce aliasing of scanned ring effect
- Can no longer see planet scan grids when changing zoom level in FSS
- Reduced wobbling of orbit lines in FSS
- Removed superfluous ‘Threat Level’ UI appearing
- Corrected some obelisk symbols to match what the object actually requires
- Tweaked Guardian material drop rate, in an effort to make it more balanced across the different rarities
- Balanced the dirt/scratches on the cockpit glass
- Fixed some situations where the lighting can be overly bright for a few seconds (when exiting some screens)
- Removed pops in lighting that occur when going to/from supercruise
- Fixed value being reset to 0 after scrolling to top of the page
- Players can now turn night vision on/off using the bound key in supercruise and the SRV
- No longer able to see other players night vision effect
- Stopped displaying ships night vision whilst the player is in their SRV
- Tweaked distance at which the orbit lines fade out
- Fixed a a bug where names were not appearing correctly
- Fixed navigation marker overlapping
- Fixed livery filters not working
- Include info on Faction Happiness– in Location and FSDJump events (§4.8,§4.12)
- Status.json flags indicate if in Analysis mode, and GUI focus shows if in Orrery, FSS, SAA or Codex view (§12)
- Fixed bug in MissionAccepted and MissionCompleted for donation missions, where the “Donated” key was written twice, one with a string, once with an int (§8.21,§8.22)
- Corrected Aisling expansion instructions
- Fixed Lagrange cloud particles and volumes glitching their positions
- Fixed mining lasers not leaving decals on asteroids
- Fixed tiling in hi-res screenshots due to lensflares
- Fixed “Brown Screen” when exiting to main menu and re-entering game whilst parked in an SRV on a planet
- Motion blurred SRV wheels no longer visible in the livery
- Added server support to try to get Commanders back into the game after triggering a ‘Commander Data’ error if their 3.2 ships had more than one FSD Interdictor module equipped.
- Fix Technology Broker and Material Traders being incorrectly unavailable from Station Services
- Refined FSS signal types for signals that didn’t come from stellar bodies
- Fix a faction simulation crash when a faction retreats after losing an invasion
- Fix the player faction submission form to stop offering starsystems that include a rare commodity in its starsystem suggestions
- Allow faction conflicts to end in a draw if a faction loses 4 days but wins the other 3 days by a huge margin
- Trigger a new inbox message when a Commander reaches their third Elite non-CQC career rank to tell them about the new decal in outfitting
- Fix conflict zones, megaships and installations spawning in locations with the wrong frames of reference
- Fixed incorrect aiming reticule sometimes appearing in the SRV
- Corrected Sednas position on it’s orbit
- Corrected the positions of the three ports around Earth
- Fixed Moon GD 319 1 A intersecting ring of planet GD 319
- Fixed some Class V gas giants being overly bright pink
- Fixed Neutron star cones only appearing in the left eye of the HMD
- Fixed FSS help screens not appearing in VR
- Ensure the system scan intermediate zoom background is limited to the overlay grid region (should make intermediate zoom levels more comfortable on VR)
- Probes should fire based on the targeting reticule instead of the direction you are looking
- Popups in the orrery view should now be fixed in space, and not follow the camera
- Ensure bodies discovered with the FSS are centered
- Corrected oversized icons in orrery view
- Improvements to head look control when using the orrery
- Capped the frame rate whilst on the main menu to 90fps, to stop HMD’s overheating
- Fixed the Short Range Composition Scanner displaying its current scan state in the modules panel, which was resulting in a truncated string
At 11:16am on the 6th November Frontier announced that the Beta for the second week of Chapter 4 would go live on the 7th November. You can see the full text below or read the official post here.
“We’re pleased to announce that the next set of beta content for Beyond – Chapter Four will be deployed to the beta server tomorrow!
“We will bring the beta server down at 10:00 (UTC) on 7 November. Following the update, the beta server will be live at approximately 15:00 (UTC) on 7 November. There is a chance that this could run over, so we really appreciate your patience. As usual with these updates we’ll keep you as up to date as possible.
“With tomorrow’s beta update, you’ll be able to test the following:
…and all of the previous content, including:
- New Exploration mechanics
- Introduction of the new Codex
- Background Simulation improvements
- Cockpit UI changes and graphical enhancements
“The changes coming with the Beyond – Chapter Four update are some of the biggest we’ve seen this year, so we would encourage you to help us iron out the kinks by leaving feedback in our dedicated beta forum section. This feedback is incredibly valuable for our team and will help us overcome any unforeseeable issues and bugs ahead of Beyond – Chapter Four’s launch!
“To take part in the beta, all you’ll need to do is load up the launcher and select (and update) the following product: Elite Dangerous – Horizons – Beta (3.3). Once that has been completed, you’ll then have access to the Beyond – Chapter Four beta. If this hasn’t appeared, please restart your launcher.
“If you’d like information as the beta progresses, you can also subscribe to our Beyond – Chapter Four Beta newsletter by clicking here.
“We can’t wait to hear what you think of the Squadrons system – and new Mining tools – in the Beyond – Chapter Four beta!
On Thursday 1st November Frontier will reveal the third in their series of streams showcasing the features of Beyond: Chapter 4. In this stream they will be revealing details about the new mining update and Squadrons. You can see the live stream below, or read the updates on the Beyond: Chapter 4 page.
On Thursday 25th October 2018 Frontier revealed their second in the series of Beyond: Chapter 4 live streams, this time featuring the Background Simulation and Scenario Interactions. This will start at 7pm (GMT). You can now see it below or read about it in the Chapter 4 page: here.
- Exploration, Codex, Cockpit UI Changes & Visual Improvements – 18th October (19:00 BST)
- BGS and Scenario Interactions – 25th October (19:00 BST)
- Mining & Squadrons – 1st November (19:00 GMT)
- The Ships – 8th November (19:00 GMT)
On the 18th October PCGamesN released an article which contained information from Frontier about one of the upcoming scenarios in Beyond: Chapter 4. You can read the article here.
Note, this won’t be discussed in full until the stream on the BGS and Scenario Interactions live stream on the 25th October.
Tonight at 7pm (GMT) Frontier will do the first of their live-streams for Beyond: Chapter 4. It will focus on exploration, the Codex and visual improvements to the game. You can view the stream by clicking here. Details have been added to this blog.
Update #1: Frontier have announced that the Squadrons and Mining streams have been combined into one stream on the 1st November. Previously they were on subsequent days.
Update #2: Frontier have also added ‘Cockpit UI changes’ to tonight’s live stream.
The Chapter 4 – Live stream dates:
- Exploration, Codex, Cockpit UI Changes & Visual Improvements – 18 October (19:00 BST)
- BGS and Scenario Interactions – 25 October (19:00 BST)
- Mining & Squadrons – 01 November (19:00 GMT)
- The Ships – 8 November (19:00 GMT)
You can now view the entire stream below: