There’s been an influx of at least 100k new players to the game since the Steam sale of Elite Dangerous/Horizons in the Christmas/Holiday period, so a big welcome to all the new players.
If you’re visiting this blog for the first time then you’ll find a selection of news about the games development both past and present from the menu in the top corner of the screen. You can also visit the update page to find the latest additions to to specific pages here.
If you’ve just bought the base game in the sale and you’re thinking about buying the Horizons expansion, then you can read the overview with links to each point release here.
You can find a brief rundown of all the games features, including links to the official patch notes here.
You can read about all the currently known features coming in the Beyond series of free updates, here. (Note: Frontier have said these are Horizons only).
And The Future? Well it’s probably On The List….
Enjoy, and see you in the black!
At 2:14pm on the 20th December 2017 Frontier announced the release of the Type-10 Defender.
“The Thargoid threat is rising. We’re receiving reports of attacks on space stations and devastation across the galaxy. Commanders have been requested to embark on dangerous rescue attempts to shuttle survivors away from the menace.
“There’s no doubt that we’ve got a difficult task ahead. But it’s not over yet… With the urgent need for new weaponry apparent, the Alliance Navy has commissioned Lakon Spaceways to overhaul the Type-9, in response to recent events.
“The result of this collaboration is the new Type-10 Defender, a military behemoth specifically built for combat and absorbing heavy hits. It’s available now from most Alliance-controlled, high-tech systems.
“What are you waiting for, Commander?”
On the 15th December 2017 Frontier had this to say about the early part of 2018….
“Firstly we’ll be continuing the Focused Feedback Forum posts about the features coming to the Beyond Series of updates. We’ve been thrilled with your constructive feedback so far, and wanted to carry on in the same way. In the new year we’ll make new posts relating to the other features in the Beyond series of updates, including Squadrons and more. We’ll also be continuing the livestreams that run alongside these forum posts, where we’ll be joined by Sandro Sammarco to talk about the feedback and explain the initial pitch and concept for the feature in detail.
“Discovery Scanner will continue in to 2018, which is our livestream series that goes behind the scenes of the creation of Elite Dangerous. Previously we looked at the creation of the Thargons with Mark Allen and how the Galaxy was brought to life with the Stellar Forge by Dr Anthony Ross. We have a selection of topics ready to discuss, but I’d also love to know who you would love to hear from! Put your suggestions for future episodes in the thread below… and we’ll see what we can do!
“The Beyond Series of updates begins in Q1 2018 and is free to all owners of Elite Dangerous: Horizons. As with our other content updates in 2.4, we’ll be ramping up to the launch with livestreams, images and video on social media and blog posts here on the forum. We’re looking forward to showing you what’s coming in the first of the Beyond Series of updates, and show you some in-game examples in the lead up to launch.
“In the meantime, please continue enjoying 2.4, as there’s more to come… I’ve heard some nasty explosions coming from the Pleiades… what’s all that about?
“Thanks again, from me and the community team, for another amazing year… here’s to many more.
The 13th December 2017 saw the Thargoids attacking stations and its inhabitants fleeing for their lives. You can see the official Frontier trailer for this below.
At 11.50am on the 6th December 2017 Frontier announced the release of Patch 2.4.09. Or if you are on the PS4, Patch 1.13. You can find all the patch notes here.
“2.4.09 is now live… the downtime is expected to be 15 minutes, or maybe slightly longer for those on PS4.
“On PS4 this update will appear as 1.13. We are looking in to getting these numbers to match in future, in order to avoid confusion. Thanks!
“The update contains a number of bug fixes.
At 10:32am on the 11th October 2017 Frontier announced an update to the 2.4 release. You can see them below or on the official site, here. The details have also been added to the Elite: Dangerous Current Features page.
- Fixed ship prices sometimes not being returned from /shipyard
- Implemented a fix to stop factions trying to invade during an expansion when they already had a conflict pending
- Fixed the “Switch” button on the fighter orders menu not disabling when the cockpit canopy is breached
General Fixes & Tweaks
- Updated some translations
- Removed the ability to Undo / Redo while a player is not on the top level of a tab in the Holo-Me creator to prevent a store exploit
- Fixed an issue whereby all Barnacles in a system would appear in the Navigation Panel after scanning just one
- Fixed the Vent button for the refinery failing to do anything with the hopper
- Fixed Engineer invite missions not spawning in certain systems
- Fixed some incorrect text strings that appeared in certain Assassination mission inbox messages
- Fixed an issue where only massacre missions were spawning instead of rank missions
- Ensured that Salvage missions contribute to the Exploration career
- Fixed an issue that led to Thargoids flagging up as allied in certain cases
- Fixed an issue where previewed decals could remain on the ship after exiting the livery section
- Fixed an issue with control characters remaining in the ReceiveText of a journal message
- Fixed the motion effects appearing fainter than they should be when flying through space
- Fixed Thargoid encounter UI statistics
- Fixed some stored ships being unavailable through shipyard
- Fixed an issue with the Docking Computer being unable to dock
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur when at Resource Extraction Sites
- Fixed a rare crash that could occur if the player disconnected while loading in to a Multi-Crew session
- We now update a Commander’s subscribed to community goal data in the Transactions tab every ten minutes, allowing players to keep track of the results on the fly
- Fixed the missing lens flares on plasma accelerator shots
At 10:36am on the 3rd September 2017 Frontier announced the release of the 2.4.02 patch. The details can be seen below or on the Frontier website. This website has a link to all patch notes by clicking here. At the time you’re reading this, the servers are back up.
“The updates will go live to PS4 and Xbox One at a later date (I’ll confirm the date ASAP) – the console versions of the game will not be affected by this downtime.”
Fixes and Improvements
- Fixed the air traffic controller work assignments so they no longer appear to be working where they shouldn’t
General Fixes & Tweaks
- Removed some placeholder text for the Cyber Lips tattoo
- Fixed issue whereby mining missions could be turned in for profit without leaving station
- Reverted the reward for the Dead Missions to 10 million after it erroneously changed back to 100 million
- Prevented planetary scan sites from spawning in the same location
- Rebalanced passenger missions to be much more in line with other mission types
- Rebalanced distance from star reward elements
- Increased chance of skimmers on planetary scan missions
- Fixed an issue with rank mission and permit spawning
- Fixed incorrect mission (incredibly high) credit rewards and expiry times
- After reviewing overall player experiences since 2.4, we’ve adjusted the number of missions the servers attempt to send for each board or passenger lounge
- Fixed an issue where after an interdiction, the Thargoid did not move or interact with players until taking damage
- Fixed an issue whereby a ship’s shield appeared to still be active during the Thargoid shutdown wave
- Fixed an issue whereby Thargoids were not attacking the player if they were carrying Thargoid parts in their cargo hold
- We no longer write to the journal when in Training Missions
- Fixed player name in Journal text message report
- Speculative fix for texture resolution problems
- Fixed Companion API authentication problems
- Fixed an error in ship rebuy cost after committing a murder crime against another player
- Reminded the Engineers how to speak Portuguese
- Hid hidden factions from the summary local news report
- Fixed various transaction server errors
- Decals on the Beluga Liner have been made less reflective
- Fixed some incorrect preview thumbnails/names for Beluga Expedition Paint Jobs
- Fixed the SRV’s emergency oxygen supply not activating when the life support module is disabled (i.e. running out of fuel)
- Fixed a crash that could occur when Thargoids fired their missiles
- Implemented a fix for some players getting stuck loading the Galactic Politics panel
- Fixed a crash that could occur when in Supercruise
- Fixed a crash that could occur when accepting missions
- Fixed a crash that could occur at the Thargoid Barnacle encounters
- Fixed a crash that could occur as a Thargoid dies while a heart is exerted
- Fixed a crash that could occur when fighting a Thargoid
- Fixed a crash that could occur when at a surface port
- Fixed a crash that could occur when trying to open station services in the docking challenge scenario
- Fixed a crash that could occur when a player jumped to hyperspace
Stations and Outposts
- Fixed several visual issues with the Coriolis stations
- Increased the current no fire zones around Stations and Outposts from 6km to 8km
Weapons & Modules
- Increased the module health of the heat sink launcher and shutdown field neutraliser, from 20 & 20 -> 45 & 35 respectively
- Reduced the ArmourPiercing value of Anti-Xeno Dumbfire Missiles from .05 to .001
- Fixed an issue with the docking computer to prevent it scraping large ships when entering a station
- Raised the Anti-Xeno turret base to allow for a clearer field of fire
- Thargoid weapons are now completely immune to chaff (or any other form of weapon confusion)
- Fixed an issue whereby wing members were sometimes getting multiple copies of combat bonds from destroying Thargoids
- Fixed a bug where users were not being offered the features they had bought while signed in on an Xbox other than their home Xbox