As this blog was initially started as a response from players wanting to know what would be in the Horizons series of releases, details on the original 1.0 – 1.4 releases were not included. I’ve had the time to go back and add a 1.0 Overview section. In time details will be added for each part of 1.1 – 1.4, mirroring the way the Horizons information is organised. You can find the first part, here. Alternatively select it from the menu at the top of the page.
The release date for 2.4: The Return will be the 26th September 2017. The official cinematic release trailer, ‘Commander Chronicles: Retaliation’ can be seen below.
Frontier have posted some information regarding the release of 2.4: The Return on the official forum as of 7.11pm this evening.
“We’ve been noticing a lot of conversations and speculation regarding when 2.4 will be released, and many are guessing at this week. To respond to all of these speculations in one go, in the interest of managing expectations and being open in our communications with you, we wanted to give you a clearer idea about when we’ll give you that information.
“In the stream next week on Thursday 14 September at 7PM BST, we’ll be bringing on our developers for a lore live stream where we’ll discuss some of the story in preparation for 2.4 so that you’re ready for when the update comes. We’ll also be giving more information about the launch of 2.4 The Return, and a date of when you can expect to be exploring the content for yourself!
“Thank you for your participation in the recent betas, and thank you for your patience so far. We’re excited to bring you 2.4 The Return and look forward to the discoveries that the community makes about our alien visitors.”
Frontier have confirmed via their newsletter that the open beta for 2.4: The Return will come to an end on the 4th September 2017. This would suggest that the full release for 2.4: The Return can be expected soon after. You can read the current preview for 2.4, here.
At 12.13pm on the 30th August 2017, Frontier announced the release of the Open Beta 3 update for the upcoming 2.4 release, The Return. As described below, there was no update 2.
We are in the process of rolling out beta update three for the 2.4 update, The Return.
The keen-eyed Commanders amongst you will have noticed this update is named Beta 3, and might be wondering what happened to Beta 2. Beta 2 was an internal build reserved for any critical fixes to Beta 1, which happily we ended up not needing. As such, we’re jumping straight to Beta 3!
Here are the changes for this update.”
- Fixed System and Planetary Map surface ambiance audio not working
- Ensured that exploration music does not play when near a Planetary Port
- Fixed an issue where the “Shields offline” audio played after every jump when shields were turned off
General Fixes & Tweaks
- General localisation fixes
- General text fixes
- Text updated to correctly reflect how the ship re-buy penalty works
- Fixed an issue where the Holo-Me screen was not focusing on the face when editing the “Complexion” tab
- Fixed the save prompt appearing when no changes had been made to your Commander
- Fixed an issue whereby the ‘Loading Commanders’ notification would display indefinitely after changing you Commander’s gender
- Fixed issue whereby courier missions were only spawning at Elite rank
- Fixed an issue where legal massacre missions were not displaying the mission title in the inbox message after completion
- Increased the time limit for long distance missions
- Fixed an issue where the gunner role has less range when using scanners than the helm role has
- Fixed an issue where the menu could become locked when quickly attempting to access the Multi-Crew Options (top left panel) during Multi-Crew as non-helm role
- Added a default binding for the multicrew mode switch when using the mouse and keyboard control scheme, the key is Tab
- Fixed an issue where the holograms on a Fighter’s HUD disappear during a Multi-Crew session
- Vehicle/Fighter sub slots are no longer displayed when transferring an optional internal module from stored modules
- Fixed an issue whereby ship kits would not preview correctly after quickly switching module slots
- Fixed an issue whereby when purchasing one or more class 6 planetary vehicle hangers, the class was not correctly detailed for the vehicle slots contained within it
Fixed an issue where some ship nameplates were incorrectly displaying the ship ID
- Exception to Pilots Federation bounty now only applies when in a system that is controlled/exploited by a power to which one of either the victim or killer is pledged (previously it applied when in a system controlled/exploited by *any* power.)
- General Ship Fixes and Improvements
- Fixed an issue where players could not switch ships if they had drones in their ship’s hold
- Fixed a texture error that occurred when the Dolphin’s shields were hit when viewed from another ship
- Re-scaled the front decal so it does not cover recessed geometry
- Fixed the smoothing groups on the sidewinder cockpit glass to improve LOD visuals when panning at close range
- Fixed a text decal on the rear of the Viper which was cutting through the hull geometry
- Fixed an audio crash
- Fixed an issue where swapping to an newly docked fighter would disconnect you from the server
- Fixed a crash that could occur when destroying a Goliath Skimmer
- Fixed a crash that could occur when following a wake scan
- Fixed a disconnect issue that could occur when deploying a Fighter when in Multi-crew
- Fixed an issue whereby selecting to transfer a module from the list of stored modules displayed an incorrect list of viable slots
- Fixed an issue where the title of an inbox message would not fade out when the message had been read
- Improvements made to the Outfitting Livery UI, so it no longer resets to the top of the list when moving between slots
- Fixed some cut-off text on the ‘Your Stored Ships’ button within the Insurance Screen
- Fixed some cut-off text on the Taipan Fighter’s role information screen
- Fixed an issue whereby the voice comms request icon temporarily appeared on the incorrect user in a player’s friends list
- Adjusted a variety of outfitting cameras across a range of ships to work better when using VR
Today, the 11th July 2017, Frontier announced a patch update. Details can be seen below or on the official forum, here. If you want to check out all the updates, with links to patch notes then you can go here.
Greetings commanders, we’ve an update on the way this morning at 10AM UK / 5AM East US.
We expect the servers to be down for about five hours while we perform this update. Below are the patch notes for this update.
- Fixed a crash involving Fighters.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when using the vanity camera shortcut while viewing the System/Surface Map.
General Fixes & Tweaks
- Overworked Air Traffic Controllers will no longer greet pilots as they are leaving.
- We no longer award micro resources that are not used for anything as mission rewards.
- Various mission tweaks and fixes.
- Xbox, PlayStation 4: Fix for the welcome mission not appearing for new commanders.
- PlayStation 4: Fix for a bug where the game ran at an accelerated speed after resuming from Rest Mode.
- PlayStation 4: General client progression-flow fixes for new commander
Frontier have announced that there will be a pre-launch stream for the release of the PS4 version of the game. You can read about it here.