Updated: 8th August 2017
To see the most recent updates to this page see the Blog Update page.
Horizons is the name given to the first expansion of Elite: Dangerous. It will come in 5 individual releases (2.0 to 2.4). Although most headline content released during the Horizons season is specific to those owning the expansion, there are still plenty of updates available to anyone owning just the base game. Anything specific to just Horizons is marked with a +.
Currently Horizons has just one update left to release, the as yet unnamed 1.9 & 2.4 patch. You can look at the official Frontier Elite: Dangerous website for more information including current pricing.
Note: Any text in green is to signify this content is released or has been confirmed in the upcoming release. Any text in red is to signify that previously mentioned content update will not make it into this season of updates (and possibly any other future update).
1.5 & 2.0 – Planetary Landings | Released: 15th December 2015
The first part of the Horizons season was released on the 15th December 2015 and features the ability to land your ship on airless planets and moons as well as drive across the surface in your SRV. Additionally you can find materials to refuel, rearm and repair your ship and SRV.
You can see the launch video here, or read the list of headline features here.
1.6 & 2.1 – The Engineers (Looting & Crafting) | Released: 26th May 2016 [PC] | 3rd June [Xbox One Release]
This update was released on the 26th May 2016. You can watch the trailer here and read the full list of known features here. Horizons for Xbox users was released on the 3rd June 2016.
1.7 & 2.2 – Guardians | Released: 25th October 2016 (PC & Xbox One)
Frontier released ‘1.7 & 2.2 – Guardians’ on the 25th October 2016.
It’s recommended you head over to the The Guardians: 1.7 & 2.2 Feature List page to read all the details.
1.8 & 2.3 – The Commanders (Multicrew & Commander Creation) | Released: 11th April 2017
Frontier released ‘1.8 & 2.3: The Commanders’ on the 11th April 2017.
For a full look at its contents click here.
2.4 – The Return | Release date: July to September 2017
On the 13th June 2017 Frontier announced that the 2.4 update will feature the return of the Thargoids. Unlike previous releases this will come in stages as part of the Thargoid narrative.
You can see the full preview, here.
The Beta for 2.4 began on the 17th August 2017. You can read the patch notes, here.
Additional Horizons Content
Beyond these headline releases there’s a variety of other features that will be woven into the Horizons season. Again, these are subject to change.
- The following seems unlikely given subsequent Frontier statements.
New Planets – It’s possible that the ability to land on airless planets with volcanic activity (ice & lava) will make an appearance in the Horizons season, along with some associated gameplay. This was briefly mentioned way back in a live stream during the release of 2.0 which you can see it here. Note: It’s not particularly clear if this is in reference to the appearance of geysers which appeared in 2.2.
- Ship Naming – This arrived in the 2.3 ‘The Commanders’ release.
- New Structures – CQC environments made their appearance in 2.2 and new massive ships will appear in 2.3. As yet there is no additional gameplay contained within them but this is expected to change with a future Horizons release.
- Unidentified Artefact – The Unidentified Artefact is likely to be woven into 2.4: The Return.
- Chained Missions – These are defined as “different missions in a sequence”. They appeared in 2.3 and will hopefully be expanded upon in future updates.
- Additional Engineer Bases – When asked if there would be additional engineer bases outside the ‘bubble’ of human existence, Sandro Sammarco replied “no comment”. The inference being that some sort of base, whether planetary or otherwise will be available for players to visit for Engineer upgrades.
- Comets – Sandro Sammarco had said that these would make an appearance at some point in the Horizons updates as they are simulated in the stellar forge, but are not present yet in game. It’s possible these will make an appearance in 1.9 & 2.4, but as yet this is unconfirmed.
- CQC Maps –
Michael Brookes has said that at some point during Season 2 they were likely to release more maps for CQC. David Braben subsequently said during a Reddit AMA that due to a low uptake on CQC there were no current plans to make any changes to this part of the game. Whether CQC will see any enhancements following Frontier’s comments to improve and expand on core components of the game is unclear but again, unlikely at present.